One of three Britons who died in Egypt boat fire named

38

One of the three Britons who died after a diving boat burst into flames in Egypt’s Red Sea on Sunday has been named as Christina Quinn, who was the chief executive of a hospice. The 58-year-old was on a medium-sized scuba diving boat called Hurricane that went up in flames in the sea off the resort town of Marsa Alam. Twelve other divers and 14 crew, including the captain, were rescued after abandoning the ship having sailed out to Elphinstone reef, a famed diving spot roughly 12km offshore and 30km from Marsa Alam.

St Luke’s Hospice Plymouth, an independent charity providing specialist care and support to people with progressive life-limiting illnesses where Quinn was chief executive, confirmed she was one of the victims. In a statement released by the hospice, a spokesperson for her family said: “It is with great sadness that we confirm the tragic death of Christina Quinn in Egypt. “She was a sister, daughter, wife, aunty, friend, and rock to many. She will be missed beyond words. We would ask for privacy at this time.” Quinn took up her role as chief executive at St Luke’s in May after a “long and impactful” career with the NHS, most recently as director of NHS South West leadership academy.

Charles Hackett, chair of St Luke’s trustees, said: “Christina was incredibly passionate about St Luke’s and its place at the heart of the community it serves, and we are devastated to lose her warmth, wisdom and leadership. “We will miss Christina enormously and our hearts go out to her family and close friends at this tragic time.” According to the tour operator Scuba Travel and Tornado Marine Fleet, which operated the diving boat, a fire broke out onboard at 8.30am local time during a diving briefing.

The three British passengers who died were among 15 qualified diving enthusiasts who were on a week’s stay on the “liveabord” vessel, designed to accommodate tourists for days at a time. A nearby craft was used to evacuate 12 divers, and the 14 crew members also had to abandon ship after trying to reach the missing guests, according to Scuba Travel. Egyptian authorities had earlier said that after an initial examination of the vessel it was found that “an electrical short circuit in the boat’s engine room sparked the blaze”.