Egypt Watch

Two Jordan citizens reveal details of their arrest in Egypt

On Tuesday, two Jordanian citizens Thaer Matar and Abdul Rahman al-Rajabeh testified about their 10-day detention in Egypt through a media interview in the Kingdom of Jordan.

The Egyptian authorities released Matar and Rajabeh last Wednesday after holding them in connection with the campaign of arrests that coincided with the demonstrations in September.

Matar described the period of detention as difficult physically and psychologically, pointing out that he was on his way from his home in Saad Zaghloul Street in the downtown area of Tahrir Square to buy food when an officer stopped him and asked to check his mobile phone. Matar confirmed that his social media accounts did not contain any political posts concerning Egypt or Jordan.

Matar adds that after his arrest he was subjected to considerable psychological and physical pressure at the National Security headquarters. Four days after Matar was detained, he was taken to the State Security Prosecution.

Matar pointed out that he was forced to participate in the video broadcast by the TV anchor Amr Adib in which he admits to his participation in the demonstrations. The second time Matar and al-Rawajbeh were taken to the State Security Prosecution they were ordered to be released.

Al-Rawajbeh said that after he learned of the arrest of his friend Matar he tried to go to the Jordanian embassy to inform them but it was late. He was arrested at five in the morning and taken to an unknown building.

Al-Rawajbeh said that he was blindfolded and taken to an unknown building, where he sat for a long time. He was subjected to psychological and physical pressure. Al-Rawajbeh agreed with Matar that he filmed the video broadcast by Amr Adib after being put under pressure.

The Sudanese student Walid Abdel Rahman, who was detained by the Egyptian authorities, also told the American channel Alhurra that he was forced to shoot the video presented by Amr Adib.

The Public Prosecution announced last Thursday the release of a number of foreign defendants seized in the aftermath of the demonstrations on September 20, at the request of embassies, and vowed to deport them immediately. The prosecution did not specify the charges against them.